"One Size Fits All"

                                                                                                Wednesday May 14, 2014


Dear Diary,

In November I was introduced to Rachel Rush, a Columbus College of Art and Design student who was working on a project about self image and the way we are viewed in society. As the years go on the American standard size has increased and has now made the plus size industry a booming business, while knocking out the 0-2 sizes. People realize that we are not rail thin and we come in all shapes and sizes and that no two sizes are alike.The current standard size is an 8. The sad thing is there is still a size cap and the people who do not fit within the bracket are left out. Participating in this project allowed me to shed my insecurities and doubts and to pose and realize that although I may not be America's standard size, I am my size and I love the skin I'm in. "Take me as I am, Flaws and all"

1. What's the name of the project?
The title of this series is titled, “One Size Fits All”

2.    What inspired this project?
I have many places that I find inspiration. With this project I’m absolutely inspired by my upbringing and growing up into a plus sized woman. I also am interested in becoming more universal in my work. What is the image and story of fellow American women? I am also interested in beauty and body image standards within the codes of our culture.  

3.    Have you ever dealt with body image issues?
100% yes. I can remember playing with my Barbie dolls when I was a little girl and wondering when I will look like her. Growing up in a culture that puts a high premium on thinness has made my daily life a challenge from an early age. For a long time I thought that I was in the wrong for being bigger, fat, chubby, well you get the point, the list goes on and on.

4.    What did you learn during the process of this project ?
I definitely saw many different perspectives on body image and the struggles that come with it. Each woman had her own lifetime worth of stories. If anything I learned to appreciate real beauty that we are constantly surrounded by everyday. Woman found in magazines are nowhere close to reality, being that are completely air brushed, hiding the woman that was originally photographed. 

5.    What was your goal with this project?
At first it felt like I was Alice falling head first into the rabbit’s hole. But when I resurfaced at the end, I came out a changed woman. The work evolved over the process of creating the series; I suppose the goal was to show what women in American culture are putting up with on a daily basis. Also that any article of clothing that says, “one size fits all” is utter bullshit.

6.    Did you accomplish your goal?
In many ways, I am very satisfied with the end result. To me failure is as valuable, if not more, than success. You learn more in failure. This work is not a failure, but it was not easy to create.

7.    What were some of the reactions from the ladies as they tried the dress on?
The women who were a dress size that is smaller than the dress were more at ease in the actual action of putting on the dress, but then became very vigilant in trying to adjust the dress to look good on their body, that was too small for the dress. All the women who were a larger dress size than the dress had a difficult experience. My size 14 had probably the most physical experience with the dress. She had her mind and heart set on getting the dress on and getting it to zip. She could barely breath once it was on. She felt accomplished and embarrassed at the same time. All the sizes after her made the dress bust open at the seams. With the biggest dress sizes in the series it was almost impossible. The dress was ripped all the way open and just hung off the shoulders. The dress only fit one woman out of thirteen, which just shows how realistic this beauty standard is.
 
8.    Where can we see this exhibit or purchase any sets?
I am currently cataloging all of the images from the series and I will post them onto my blog in my digital portfolio. If there is an interest in any of the sets feel free to contact me via email. (Blog: Rachael Layne Rush.com)

Comments

Popular Posts