The Bow Tie guy



         When I first met Mark it was at the Pandora's Closet/POSED Awards weekend in May 2013. He had a vendor's table across from mine so I stopped by. He was dressed very classy and he stood out, his style was fly and colorful. I was very intrigued by the colors, patterns and prints of the bow ties. They are very creative and unique. Some were even double sided. I was very impressed to learn that he was self taught and has only been sewing for a few years, because I can see some of his work being featured in GQ very soon.  Mark also hosts a weekly party in Cleveland, Ohio called the Sanctuary. On the fliers you will see nostalgic pics of famous black people from the 70s. I think that's dope.

 

1. What is the name of you brand? What was the first thing you designed? What made you want to design? How long have you been designing?


    My company/brand is The Whatknot Bow Tie Company and you guessed it, I design bow ties. I began designing bow ties simply because I couldn't find the bow ties that really excited me and when I did, they were so expensive that I couldn't afford to buy them. I have a cousin in the D.C. Area that designs bow ties so I would buy from him until one day I decided to make them. So in January of 2013, bought a $25 sewing machine from Craigslist.com and did a little research on how to use it and that was the beginning of my journey as The Whatknot!


    2.  Describe your style
    Stylistically, I like to stand out in a subtle way, if that makes sense. I understand that the accessories are really more important than the actual outfit. It's the detail that sets you apart from the crowd so I put my focus on the bow tie, shoes, belts, etc. I love colors. I love the fall and winter because I get to dress in layers. 


    3. Who are some of your favorite designers?
    My favorite designers right now are, of course Ralph Lauren. It seams that he influences every designer in some way. He's like the Miles Davis of designers. I also really enjoy the designs of Ozwald Boateng. I admire his journey, passion and determination. 

    4. Where do you get inspiration from?
   My inspiration comes first from a selfish point of view. When I see fabric, if I can't say, " I can't wait to get home and turn it into a bow tie so I can wear it!" Then I won't buy it. Luckily, other people like what I like as well. 


    5.  Do you sew your own designs? If no, why not?
   I design and manufacture my own product. I am self taught and I'm sure that my method is completely wrong by the standards of "The Professional Seamstress," but the quality has become very good and the method I use works for me. Before January of 2013, I'd never touched a sewing machine. 


   6.   How do you feel about designers duplicating other designer’s work?
    I would never try to replicate the design of another bow tie. There are so many different types of fabric and prints out there that there's no need to copy. I want to stand out from all of the other bow tie companies. I want you to look at someone wearing a bow tie by The Whatknot and know that it's mine. I don't want to copy you, I want to be better than you!


   7.   Where can people see and order your designs?
    My bow ties can be seen and purchased through my website at www.thewhatknot.com as well as Instagram @thewhatknot, or by calling me at 216-409-0359. My email address is info@thewhatknot.com


   8.   What is your favorite thing to design?
    My favorite thing to design is of course the bow tie. However, I am working on expanding my product line to pocket squares, socks, and belts. 


   9.   What’s in your styling kit?
    My Style Kit is pretty simple. Since my products are accessories, I have it a little easier than other designers. I bring my accessories. 


   10.   How do you keep up on the new colors, fabrics and trends?
    I keep up on fashion trends fabrics and colors through magazines like GQ and Esquire along with the internet. I also want to set trends. I feel like if you know the rules, you can break them. If you can break them correctly, you can create new rules. 


   11.   What sets your designs apart from the rest? What makes your style unique?
    The thing that sets my style and my product apart from the rest is my eye. Bow ties have been around since the 18th Century. I didn't create anything new. However, the way I see colors and the combination of prints and fabrics are what make my bow ties original. A part of me and my unique style goes into every bow tie I create.

Comments

Popular Posts