III Creations

                                                                                                   Monday August 19, 2013

Dear Diary,

         I had the pleasure of meeting and interviewing a very sweet, humble and ridiculously talented designer. Her name is Misti Leigh. She's more than designer, she's just all around talented. Her attention to details are impeccable. I can see some of her gowns in Vogue or Elle one day. Misti Leigh's work from her photography to her dresses is amazing and she's not arrogant about it and that's what drew me to her for this interview. When I first met her it was during the preparation of "Pandora's Closet" in May, I said se should go on "Project runway". Her models were well rehearsed, her designs were beautiful and flowed with great cohesion and she met all the deadlines asked by the fashion show coordinator. Her designs are definitely a work of art.

1.   What is the name of you brand?  iii Designs by Misti Leigh (iii pronounced : third eye)

2.  What do you design?  Avant Garde, Couture and Evening Designs

3. What was the first thing you designed? I call it my “Nerd” Dress. It took me 3 days to complete it.  The bottom half is a black satin pencil skirt. The top half is black lace in the front and the back with short black satin sleeves and a lace collar with embellishments.

4. What made you want to design? I never thought about designing until I begun fashion photography last year in February. I wanted my models to have a different style within the photographs as seen in high fashion magazines. It is hard to find such designs in stores and boutiques in my area so I thought of creating some pieces yet I didn't know how to sew. Instead I begun collecting vintage clothes and hats for my photo shoots. It wasn't until August that I was presented in showing my vintage pieces in a fashion show. I then decided to take a few sewing lessons by a great taylor and mentor Ron Stephens. I then begun to make my first fashion collection “Black Romance” by myself for the fashion show the following month.

5.  How long have you been designing? I started in August of 2012

6. Describe your style.  Wow that's hard.  I love to make couture dresses that haven’t been seen before. I love my Avant Garde designs mostly, it gives the fashion industry a spark of interest to want to see more because its outside of the box.

7. Who are some of your favorite designers? Alexander McQueen, Marchesa, Guo Pei and  Michael Cinco. I could go on and on yet these are some of my top designers.

8. Where do you get inspiration from? Other designers beautiful minds. I get so happy seeing other designer creations and it makes me excited to begin something new. One thing I don't do as most designers do is sketch and create. I make mood boards I find cool fabrics with textures or color write down words of what I vision and mesh together and I begin to sew. My designs, photography, fine arts and videography is done thru a vision thats the only way I work.

9. Do you sew your own designs? If no, why not? Yes and I hope one day I can hire a personal seamstress. It is very time consuming and I need all the time I can get for other iii Creations services I offer.

10. How do you feel about designers duplicating other designer’s work? I totally feel you should never duplicate same designs yet be inspired and its okay to desire to do similar pattern or use a similar fabric no matter what make it your own. I have a mood board of a few designer dresses I love and I want to design similar too. But I want to add my vision and twist it up and make it my own creation.

11.  Where can people see and order your designs? My designs can be seen at www.iiicreations.com. I have a few designs on my website and full gallery will be available soon with photos of designs from all three collections. “Black Romance”, “RobCyn12” and “The Mirage” new Fall 2013 collection.

12. What is your favorite thing to design? Avant Garde Designs and this year I am going to become more dramatic with a few of my creations.  So far one my most bizarre pieces is my Tree Dress made with faux Evergreen Tree branches.

13.  What’s in your styling kit?  What's a styling kit lol.

14. How do you keep up on the new colors, fabrics and trends? The Internet and I love collecting fashion magazines. Just a few days ago I read a couple Vogue, W and Elle magazines my mother bought me over 6 years ago. Fashion recycles itself.

15. What sets your designs apart from the rest? A lot of my designs are not typical. If I design something that is more of a common piece I still want to add detailing to make it as unique as possible.



professional photo shoot with 4 of my designs, it was published in DeFuze Magazine this year. One of the models wearing my piece is Americas Next Top Model All Star Laura Kirkpatrick (shes in the long lace dress)





16. What makes your style unique?  My style is a mixture of bold, sexy, beautiful and eccentric.

Comments

Popular Posts